Access Statement for Castle Mews
Castle Mews is a mid terrace house in a quiet residential street in the centre of Southport. We have tried to provide as much information as possible in this statement. If you have any queries please contact us. We look forward to welcoming you. The house was built in about 1850 and is not suitable for wheelchairs or guests who cannot manage stairs. If you're OK with stairs but find it difficult to walk far you'll be fine as it is easy to hire a mobility scooter in Southport and there's room in the hallway to leave the scooter while you're enjoying your holiday in Southport.
- We have a website with photographs of all rooms
- Bookings/enquiries can be made by email, letter or telephone
- The nearest bus stop is 150 metres from the house
- The train station is about ¼ mile away in the town centre; there are accessible taxis at the station
- We can arrange for shopping to be delivered on arrival
- We can provide information in large print on request
- The beds will be made up ready for you
- We provide a bath and hand towel and face flannel for each guest
Arrival and Car parking facilities
- There is flat parking off the street and immediately in front of the house with sufficient room for two carefully parked cars
- Car parking is flat, even paving
- The entrance is flat with no steps through a front door (75 cm wide, opening with the hinge on the right) and entering a narrow hallway (90 cm wide).
- To open the door there is a yale and a mortise lock. If there is no-one there to greet you the keys are retrieved from a safe box to the right of the front door which is operated by turning the numbers to the combination we will provide you with when you have paid in full for the accommodation. If you arrive after dark you may wish to bring a torch to see the numbers. There is an outside light but we can’t guarantee that it will be left on.
Inside the house
- The door into the living and dining room is on the right at the end of the hall
- The hall, stairs, landing, living room and bedrooms are carpeted with deep red fitted carpet, white skirting boards
- The hall is wide enough to store a mobility scooter or buggy
- There are three smoke alarms - in the dining room (at the end by the kitchen), in the hall and on the landing and there is a carbon monoxide detector in the dining area.
- There are radiators in all rooms heated by a gas combi boiler situated in the bathroom. There is constant hot water.
The living and dining room
- This is one large room with a window at the front and one at the back.
- In the front lounge area is a three piece suite, gas fire and TV with VHS and DVD player. There is a stereo unit including a radiio.
- The TV and radio are operated by using a remote control
- At the back is a large dining table which can be extended to seat eight
- You go through the dining area to reach the fitted kitchen
- From the kitchen is a door leading to the back yard
- There is a gas cooker with separate grill, the door to the cooker opens out with a hinge on the left and the door to the grill drops down. There are four rings. The gas is ignited by pressing a button on the cooker
- There is also a microwave with integral regular oven, instructions for use are provided
- Fridge with small ice box included – enough for ice trays and a few frozen items
- Well lit kitchen, with plenty of work surfaces and smooth linoleum floor. Good supply of cleaning materials under the sink, well equipped with crockery, cutlery and glasses for up to eight as well as a wide range of cooking utensils (refer the inventory)
- Bosch automatic washing machine provided, no tumble drier, but clothes line outside and ample clothes airers in the bathroom
- Both bedrooms and the bathroom and separate toilet are upstairs.
- The stairs are 76 cm wide and 21cm deep. There is a handrail on the left as you go up. 12 steps take you to the smaller bedroom and toilet. There are then a further three steps to the bathroom and main bedroom
Bathroom and separate toilet
- The toilet is standard
- There is also a wash basin in the separate toilet room
- The shower is over the bath and there are handles by the side of the bath. A non slip mat is provided for use in the bath. The bathroom is spacious with a chair and room to dry washing over the free standing clothes airers. The boiler is in a recess on one side of the bathroom
- Above the washbasin is a mirror fronted cabinet with spot light and shaving point
- Each bedroom has a clock radio/alarm and a TV and remote control
- There are two single beds in the small back bedroom. They are each against the wall, placed side by side with 20 cm between them. A bedside light is placed on the unit between the beds. There is a wardrobe and drawers in the dressing table to store your clothes
- There is a kingsize bed in the large front bedroom with space on both sides. It can be separated into twin beds, each of which can be assessed on both sides. A large double wardrobe and built in drawers are available
- Each bedroom has a dressing table with drawers and mirror and there is a hairdryer in the front room.
- A put-you-up bed and bedding is also available and there is room for this to be set up in the large front bedroom or downstairs in the sitting room or dining room. Please let us know if you need this.
- A cot and bedding is also available on request
- There is a small concrete yard at the back of the property, accessed via the side door from the kitchen (77 cm wide)
- There is room to keep bicycles safely here. The back gate to the yard is secured by a bolt and leads to a locked garden which is owned by a neighbour but through which there is right of access. The key to the door to the garden (access around the corner from Union Street) is hanging on a hook in the kitchen.
- Here there is a washing line and a table and chairs. Guests tend to use the area if they wish to smoke.
- Well behaved pets are welcome – please inform us on booking
- No smoking in the house
- Good mobile reception, cyber cafe 100 yards away. Wifi available in the house.